22 March 2013 – Newport Beach, California/… inXile Entertainment today confirmed that Chris Avellone will be joining the design team for Torment: Tides of Numenera if the crowd-funded story-driven CRPG reaches the $3.5 million stretch goal. Torment: Tides of Numenera is crafted in the tradition of Planescape™: Torment, set in the world of Monte Cook’s Numenera, and reached its target funding level on Kickstarter within the first six hours of the 30-day campaign when it launched on 6 March 2013, also breaking Ouya’s record as the fastest Kickstarter to reach $1M.
Chris Avellone was lead designer on Planescape: Torment, the inspiration behind Torment: Tides of Numenera. He later cofounded Obsidian Entertainment, where he is the Creative Director. Chris was the lead designer for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, and has contributed his design expertise to every project Obsidian has developed. He also worked with inXile on Wasteland 2 last year, including designing the area showcased in inXile’s gameplay first look video.
He will have two primary roles on Torment: Tides of Numenera. Firstly, he will be reviewing and providing feedback on all creative elements of the game, including the story, characters, and areas. His input will be invaluable as a resource to creative lead Colin McComb in further detailing the creative vision for the game. Secondly, Chris will be designing and writing an eighth companion for the game, working with Colin and Monte Cook to craft a companion ideal for both Torment and the Ninth World. (This work is being scheduled and set up to not interfere with Chris’s involvement with Obsidian’s Project Eternity.)
For further information on Torment: Tides of Numenera and to pledge your support, visit the Kickstarter page:
About Torment: Tides of Numenera
Torment: Tides of Numenera is a game set in the world of Monte Cook’s new tabletop RPG game, Numenera. Torment contin
· Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
· You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
· The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
· The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
· The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish.
· The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)