Varjo™, the leader in high-performance XR/VR hardware and software, today announced the launch of its next generation human-eye resolution XR/VR headsets – the XR-3 and VR-3. These two new professional-grade headsets continue Varjo’s ‘Resolution Revolution’ as the latest devices in a product line committed to delivering unsurpassed visual fidelity across industries where absolute precision is necessary, including training and simulation, design, engineering, medical and research.
As demand for virtual and mixed reality use cases continues to rise, particularly as much of the world continues to work remotely, the latest offerings from Varjo deliver the cutting-edge tools needed to scale XR/VR adoption within every industry. Featuring human-eye resolution, a 115° field of view, integrated eye and hand tracking, XR-3 inside-out tracking and pixel perfect mixed reality depth awareness, professional users can perform at their highest level in a fully immersive environment.
“Our team has been working non-stop throughout 2020 to further push the envelope of what is possible in XR and VR. The new XR-3 and VR-3 are the most advanced, zero-compromise devices on the market and suitable for any professional workflow,” said Urho Konttori, co-founder and Chief Innovation Officer of Varjo. “We are especially excited by the introduction of depth awareness in the XR-3 through combined LiDAR and RGB video, enabling the most realistic mixed reality experiences ever seen. With our highest-performance XR, Varjo is setting the new standard for professional immersive computing and paving the way for a collaborative, cloud-enabled mixed reality workplace.”
The XR-3 and VR-3 unlock new professional applications and make photorealistic virtual and mixed reality more accessible than ever. For example, the new headsets provide pilots and flight crews with an unmatched level of realism that replicates the exact feeling and conditions needed for rigorous training and simulation. Designers and creatives can experience perfect 3D visualizations – meaning textures, reflections, colors, text, curvature and angles in shapes can be seen in stunning clarity with the widest color gamut of any headset. Lastly, first responders or surgical teams can train together in an immersive reality, improving ways of working, communication and readiness for any medical scenario.
Key features of both the XR-3 and VR-3 include:
- Industry’s highest resolution in a 115° field of view. This is possible through Varjo’s full frame Bionic Display™ with double the human-eye resolution area (at over 70 pixels per degree) compared to previous generations. The headsets now also support ultra-high resolution across the full frame, as well as color accuracy that mirrors the real world.
- Twice the performance for enhanced levels of realism and visual clarity. With a refresh rate of 90 Hz, the XR-3 and VR-3 also have the world’s fastest and most accurate eye tracking integrated in XR/VR headsets at up to 200 Hz, giving users optimized visual fidelity through foveated rendering. Both devices also feature integrated Ultraleap™ hand tracking for natural interactions.
- Improved comfort and usability with 3-point precision fit headband, 40% lighter weight, active cooling, and ultra-wide optical design removing eye strain and simulator sickness
- Complete software compatibility with Unity™, Unreal Engine™, OpenXR 1.0 (in early 2021) and hundreds of industrial 3D engines and applications, including Autodesk VRED™, Lockheed Martin Prepar3d™, VBS BlueIG™ and FlightSafety Vital™
Key features specific to the XR-3 include:
- The industry’s first depth awareness with LiDAR and stereo RGB video pass-through to deliver seamless merging of real and virtual for perfect occlusions and full 3D world reconstruction
- Inside-out tracking enables users to determine the precise position of the XR-3 within the environment. This vastly improves tracking accuracy and removes the need for SteamVR™ base stations
With the launch of VR-3 and XR-3, Varjo also modernizes its software offering by introducing Varjo Subscriptions to replace the previous software and support services. Professional customers can now more easily and flexibly manage and acquire Varjo software from a dedicated portal.
The Varjo XR-3 is available for enterprise purchase for $5,495 (USD and Euros) together with Varjo Subscription, which starts at $1,495 (USD and Euros) for a required one-year base subscription. The Varjo VR-3 can be purchased for $3,195 (USD and Euros) along with a one-year subscription starting at $795. With a new price point of the headsets, Varjo is accelerating organizations’ ability to bring immersive technology into the workplace.
Both the XR-3 and VR-3 headsets are available for order immediately on varjo.com or through one of the more than 35 authorized resellers in the company’s global reseller network, while shipments start in early 2021.