Eagle Dynamics has released a new gameplay trailer showing off some of what is capable in their upcoming combat flight simulation framework, DCS World 2. Checkout some details about the game as well as the trailer, below!
DCS World 2
DCS World 2 is the next iteration of the Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) series that will include a new graphics engine (developed in our Eagle Dynamics Graphics Engine development environment). It will be a FREE update and all of your DCS World module keys will work with it. In addition to the new graphics engine, DCS World 2 will also usher in the ability to have multiple maps integrated into DCS (both developed by Eagle Dynamics and our 3rd party partners). Maps currently in developed include the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR), Strait of Hormuz, and Europe 1944. The Map SDK is available to qualified 3rd party development teams. Interested parties can PM me with detailed proposals.
Some features we plan to include in DCS World 2 include:
- Direct X 11 support
- Improved performance
- Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains
- Improved weather
- Improved lighting
- Clipmap support for new maps
- Higher object counts
- Higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures for new maps (between 1 and 64 meters per pixel depending on area of map and clipmap level)
- More detailed tree models with collision for new maps
- Better graphical effects
- High resolution road textures for new maps
- Ability for road signs and light signals for new maps
- Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.) for new maps
- Skeleton animation for infantry
- Better use of multiple GPUs (CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain)
- Ability to create dedicated servers in the future
- Unified front end and simulation .exe
- Improved API sound support
- Improved Oculus Rift support
The Black Sea map will see several benefits of this including better lighting, improved grass, effects and weather.