Breakwaters, developed by Soaring Pixels, is an island-hopping survival adventure set in a breathtaking, ever-changing oceanic world. While it may look like a perfect paradise, your task is titanic—it’s up to you to defeat terrifying titans to calm the stormy seas.
With Early Access release date information rolling in soon, this is the perfect time to get to know the ropes of Breakwaters. Featuring the largest in-game ocean simulation, how you control the ocean and what lies beneath the waves will determine your success in this unique interactive open-world experience.
Originally announced via Kickstarter earlier this year, Breakwaters immediately resonated with fans and was funded in just 3.5 hours. Since hitting their initial funding goal, along with quite a few stretch goals, the team at Soaring Pixels has been busy preparing and perfecting some pretty cool features for the upcoming Early Access launch, including:
- Boats. To build a boat, you must have blueprints and access to a floating dock. Different blueprints can be found or purchased in the Breakwaters world, with each boat having different functions and features, such as the number of contraption slots they have, where those slots are located, and how much contraption weight a boat can handle. The type of vessel you build plays a key part in your play style, and you’ll need to be strategic when considering the best vehicle.
- Boat Contraptions. You must think carefully about what contraptions you’ll equip on your boat and how you’ll use them. Without a crane on board, you could miss out on grabbing sunken treasure from the ocean floor. Or, without a cannon on board, you could lose that sunken treasure and more if you can’t defend yourself while at sea. Other contraptions include fog lights, armor, ballista, sails, motors, and more!
- Online Co-Op. No man is an island, not even in Breakwaters. While the single-player experience is compelling, exploring the 350+ square kilometer open world is more fun with friends. Work together to build a home base, team up to tackle a Titan or just walk the shoreline and take in the view
- Pumps and Pipes. This feature set allows you to create plumbing systems that can drain bodies of water to reveal resources and pump water into structures for storage. Use the water pressure to power contraptions and sensors to automate tasks across your homestead. By using pumps and pipes strategically, you can carve the world around you into the environment you need to succeed in your quest to become a Breakwater, whether that means turning a valley into a lake or creating a devastating flood in the lowlands.
- Crystals. Using pumps and pipes isn’t the only way to move water to your advantage. Powerful crystals hidden in the world around you can help you create water where none existed, repel the ocean to harvest resources, attract water to a contained area and more.
- Floating Docks. Not satisfied with living in a cozy, beachfront hut with an unbeatable view of the ocean? Use the floating dock feature to build your dream overwater bungalow!
- Flexible Farming. A wide variety of farming options is just one way to create an island world that is both functional and beautiful. Whether you need to build a vegetable farm on a steep hillside, or you want to spruce up your place with some potted plants, the ability is there.
Breakwaters is designed for three different types of players: Homesteaders, Explorers, and Adventurers. This means players enjoy many different play styles, such as building, farming, combat/action, adventure and more. There’s something for everyone—casual players who enjoy life-sims can chill on the beach to harvest resources, while players who crave action and adventure can battle massive Titans that plague an otherwise peaceful world.
Breakwaters is set to launch this year on Steam, followed by other PC portals and console platforms at a later date (specific platforms still TBD). For more information, visit the website or Steam Page, or check out Breakwaters on Twitter, TikTok, Discord, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.