Thursday, May 31 2018 — Revival Productions’ Overload, the spiritual successor to the classic six-degree-of-freedom (6DOF) tunnel shooter Sci-Fi game Descent, is now available for PC (Windows, Mac, & Linux) for $29.99 on Steam and GoG. Overload’s Early Access version received a user rating of 96% on Steam. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions will release in the third quarter of 2018.
Revival Productions was founded by Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas, co-founders of legendary Parallax Software, creators of the Sci-Fi classic Descent. “If you loved Descent, then Overload is the true spiritual successor you have been waiting for. It plays like Descent, the mechanics and level design feel like Descent, and it looks and sounds amazing,” said Mike Kulas, co-creator, Revival Productions. Matt Toschlog added, “For someone who never played Descent, think of Overload as a hardcore, intense Sci-fi FPS in a world where the action takes place on all sides of the player. Descent features a deep single-player story campaign, a highly-replayable Challenge Mode with online leaderboards, and individual and team-based multiplayer modes.”
Descent, developed by Parallax Software and published by Interplay in 1995, received critical acclaim for its 3D six-degree-of-freedom gameplay that combined the best of space flight simulation with FPS experience. Offering both single player and multiplayer experiences, Descent gave players three axes of rotation and three axes of movement unlike other FPS games that have only 2 axes of rotation and 2.5 axes of movement. Six-degrees of freedom adds complexity and depth to control and movement and it takes the standard FPS experience to a whole new level.
Overload offers classic 6DOF play but brings the labyrinthine environments to new and vibrant life with updated features, deeper gameplay, weapons with individual characteristics, dramatically enhanced graphics, the ability to explore levels beyond main objectives, and comes with VR support.
- 15 level single-player campaign plus secret levels
- Numerous level challenges including lava, forcefields, lockdowns, ambushes, and secret rooms
- 20 terrifying robot enemies, plus Super-Robots and Variants and three bosses armed with customized AI giving them unique personality and combat behavior
- Multiplayer with public and private matches
- Challenge Mode with 12 levels and Infinite and Countdown variants that alter the focus of play
- Story by the writer of FreeSpace 2 with fully-voiced audio (English Only)
- Adrenaline-pumping soundtrack
- Virtual reality support for Oculus and Vive
- Achievements and Leaderboards
- Upgrades and XP system and advanced player stats
- Automap and Holo-guide for navigation assistance
- Save anywhere
- Six difficulty levels ranging from a casual challenge to very punishing
- Support for mouse, keyboard, gamepad, and joystick controls
- Surround sound audio options
- Optional training level for refining your piloting skills
- Interface and subtitles available in: English, French, German, Spanish and Russian
- Post launch: Release of Level Editor and support for user-created levels and campaigns
A demo of Overload is available at: