Monday, April 23, 2018 — Revival Productions announced that Overload, the new six-degree-of-freedom tunnel shooter from the original creators of the critically-acclaimed 90s classic Descent, will be available for PC (Windows, Mac, & Linux) beginning May 31, 2018 for $34.99. The PlayStation4 and Xbox One versions will release Q3 2018. Revival Productions was founded by Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas, co-founders of legendary Parallax Software. Revival has created Overload, an FPS that combines the best of classic 6-DOF gameplay found in Descent with the latest in today’s technology to provide intense 3D action on PS, PlayStation4 and Xbox One.
“We started Overload as a nostalgic homage to Descent, but it’s really grown into something more. We were able to create a deep story, add voice acting, create a new challenge mode game and VR support. And all this is on top of graphics and sound we could only dream about 20 years ago,” said Mike Kulas, co-creator, Revival Productions. Matt Toschlog added, “It’s been a blast creating this game, and we especially value the relationships we’ve formed with our Kickstarter backers and Early Access players.”
Descent, developed by Parallax Software and published by Interplay in 1995, received critical acclaim for its 3D six-degree-of-freedom gameplay that combined the best of space flight simulation with FPS experience. Overload offers a Descent-like style of play, but brings the labyrinthine environments to new and vibrant life with updated features, deeper gameplay, and dramatically enhanced graphics. Overload is current available in Early Access on Steam with a user rating of 97%.
- Optional training level for refining your piloting skills
- 15 level single-player campaign plus secret levels
- Story by the writer of FreeSpace 2 with fully-voiced audio (English Only)
- Adrenaline-pumping soundtrack
- 20 terrifying robot enemies, plus Super-Robots and Variants and three bosses
- Numerous level challenges including lava, forcefields, enemy turrets, lockdowns, ambushes and secret rooms
- Challenge mode (with two variants) and 12 Challenge Mode levels
- Achievements and Leaderboards
- Upgrades and XP system and advanced player stats
- Automap and Holo-guide for navigation assistance
- Save anywhere
- Six difficulty levels ranging from a casual challenge to very punishing
- Support for mouse, keyboard, gamepad and/or joystick controls
- Surround sound audio options
- Virtual reality support for Oculus and Vive
- Interface and Subtitle Available in: English, French, German, Spanish and Russian
- Available on PC (Windows, Mac, and Linux), PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
- Post launch: Release of Level Editor and support for user-created levels and campaigns
A “playable teaser” of Overload is available for free on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/450220/Overload_Playable_Teaser_20/) or by direct download from https://playoverload.com. It contains a small subset of Overload, giving the player a taste of what it’s like to play in six-degrees-of-freedom.