As a wandering journalist, what kind of backpack to carry around my gear in is one of the most important decisions I have to make. If I choose wrong, I might not have enough room for all the required gadgets I need or, even worse, can’t get to them in time due to poor backpack layout. It’s not enough for a backpack to fit everything – objects stored within have to be easily-accessible. The structure of the backpack is made of a tight, woven fiber that is very light and feels very durable. EC-BC calls this material “Kodra” and, while I have no idea what that actually translates to, it must have to do with being rugged, because that’s just how it feels.
In terms of overall size, the Hercules is large enough to fit up to a 17-inch laptop, but also can carry a whole lot more in its various pouches and pockets. I am very pleased with how much room there is inside the backpack for electronics, paperwork, etc. The front zippered-pocket near the top of the backpack is even lined in a nice, soft material and is designed to carry smartphones or other scratchable devices. It’s touches like these that set the EC-BC Hercules apart.
One of this backpack’s best features is its sternum strap. Arcing across one’s sternum, this strap holds the main arm straps together and this prevents it from accidentally falling off you if you are running or jostled about. Additionally, it takes a little of the strain off of the straps by holding them tight. The sternum strap is easily one of the best features about the backpack, and allows for long term wear with much more comfort than backpacks lacking the strap. Checkout the official product showcase video:
Another feature of this backpack worth mentioning is its TSA-compliant, “fast pass” system whereby the backpack opens up, allowing easy visual inspection without your having to remove all your goodies. Aside from this, the backpack features reinforced zippers and zipper pulls which add to its durable quality. If I had to describe the Hercules in as few words as possible, I would choose “durable”, “spacious”, and “smart”.
Overall, the EC-BC Hercules Laptop Bag offers excellent internal storage space and well-placed zippers so that you can get to your stuff quickly. It retails for $139 and is available in five colors. You can purchase one of your own at EC-BC’s official website. This backpack is the perfect travel companion for those geeks among us needing a good pack for their gear.
[easyreview title=”Hercules Laptop Backpack Review Score” cat1title=”Overall Score (out of 5)” cat1detail=”” cat1rating=”5″] Our Rating Scores Explained
ECBC Hercules Laptop Bag Official Specs
- Black – K7102-10
- Blue – K7102-20
Fits Screen Size:
- Up to 17″
- 18.5″ x 12.1″ x 10.1″
- 47cm x 30.7cm x 27.7cm
- 1000d Kodra
- Front zipper pocket for documents, plane tickets, passport
- Dual zip-away powermesh water bottle pockets
- Nylon Tube Webbing + Foam Top Carry Handle
- Adjustable Shoulder Straps
- Heavy-duty water resistant YKK zippers
- ‘Outdoor Industry Tested’ Kodra material with water repellent coating
- Padded adjustable shoulder straps with adjustment points
- Molded back panel
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Foam padded top handle
- Protects up to 17″ laptop in high density foam foldout compartment
- Removable foam spacer to accommodate smaller laptops
- TSA-compliant FastPass foldout compartment for quicker security checks
- Padded iPad/Tablet sleeve
- Fleece-lined pocket for music players, camera, sunglasses, etc.
- Main inside compartment for books, magazines, folders/paperwork
- Cord Manager/Accessories pocket
- Deluxe organizer panel with key hook
- Double diamond rip-stop lining inside