June 18, 2020 – Embark on a tale of dark terror in the forlorn civilization of Ten-Towers and the bone-chilling areas surrounding these frontier settlements in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden contains fantastic secrets and treasures are entombed in the sunless heart of the glacier – what will their discovery mean for the denizens of Icewind Dale? You can even pre-order on D&D Beyond to immediately receive a few bonuses – icy character sheet backdrops and a set of glacial digital dice!
The sourcebook is also one of horror… In fact, one of the influences for the game was John Carpenter’s The Thing (ed. note. One of the greatest horror films in the history of film).
In addition to Rime of the Frostmaiden, several new D&D products were announced to come out in 2020:
- Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden takes adventurers to the beloved setting made famous by Drizzt Do’Urden and the Companions of the Hall in a way never seen before. The tale of dark terror revisits the forlorn, flickering candle lights of civilization known as Ten-Towns and sheds light on the many bone-chilly locations that surround these frontier settlements. Developed by Chris Perkins, the adventure book takes players from level 1 to 12 and will release everywhere September 15 with a standard cover featuring a painting by Tyler Jacobson, with an alternate cover designed by Hydro74 available only in game stores. More info can be found here.
- Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden Dice and Miscellany allows you to prepare for a cold reception by arming yourself with dice that bring the heat! Based on the successful form factors of the Descent into Avernus and Laeral Silverhand dice sets, “Icey Dicey” features 11 dice in a frosty metallic blue, and two d20s to roll disadvantage. The dice are packaged in a beautiful, durable box that doubles as a felted dice tray. The Miscellany contains a player-friendly foldout map of Icewind Dale and Ten-Towns and 20 double-sided cards with descriptions and illustrations of characters and creatures one might encounter in Icewind Dale. Available for pre-order here. [Sept. 15; $24.95]
- Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden Platinum Edition from Beadle & Grimm’s will also release this Fall. This limited edition set from Matthew Lillard and company builds on the success of previously released boxes providing prop and visual aids for DMs. More info can be found here. [Date Oct, $499]
- WizKids is again creating amazing licensed D&D miniatures for this adventure including: D&D Set 17 Configurations featuring a Premium set + 8ct Booster Brick; D&D Icons of the Realms: Adult White Dragon Premium Figure and D&D Icons of the Realms: Sapphire Dragon Premium Figure [Aug; $69.99/each]. Everything is available for preorder through game stores now and more info can be found here.
- From the authors of Art & Arcana comes a D&D cookbook to add some spice to your game night, Heroes’ Feast. Michael Witwer, Jon Petersen and Kyle Newman crafted in-world food & drink recipes from the Forgotten Realms. Use Heroes Feast to serve dishes for your gaming group in that tavern session, or just to impress guests. Pre-order now at Penguin Random House. [Oct 27; $35].
- Halloween will be even more fantastic this year as D&D has partnered with Spirit Halloween, the only authorized D&D Costume retailer, with the teams working hand-in-hand to create three amazing costumes. Cattie-Brie is the selection for the empowered action heroine including deluxe sculpted shoulder armor piece, and paired with the Heartseeker (Bow & Arrow accessory $29.99) makes for a badass Halloween costume. The Drizzt Do’Urden costume features faux leather straps, a silver wig, and you can kit yourself out with Twinkle ($29.99) and Icing Death ($29.99) sword accessories to complete the fantasy. The Dungeon Master is the classic from the 80s D&D cartoon and comes with the cool bald pate and wig. Each costume will retail for $49.99 and are available for preorder now at: https://www.spirithalloween.
- Two comic book collaborations are also coming later this year. IDW will release At the Spine of the World [Oct. 21] from amazing storytellers new to D&D, Aimee Garcia (Lucifer) and AJ Mendez (former WWE Superstar). On November 4, Dark Horse will release Stranger Things & Dungeons & Dragons from comic-writing veterans Jody Hauser & Jim Zub. More information can be found on the D&D product pages, online here and here.