JACKSON, N.J. ─ April 20, 2017─ Six Flags Great Adventure, in partnership with Samsung Electronics America, Inc., the “Official Technology Partner of Six Flags,” today announced an all-new, extreme virtual reality experience coming to the world’s tallest and fastest drop ride beginning May 5. Thrill-seekers will use Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus to battle giant, mutant spiders while they plunge 41 stories at speeds up to 90 mph on Drop of Doom VR, a fully-integrated virtual reality (VR) experience on Zumanjaro.
“As the leader in innovation, Six Flags launched the very first VR coaster experiences. Now, we are taking virtual reality to the next level with the introduction of the first VR drop rides,” said Neal Thurman, park president. “Drop of Doom VR plays upon two of our greatest fears – extreme heights and spiders – and delivers an entirely new thrill for the spring 2017 season.”
While anxious riders buckle into their floorless seats and strap on their VR headsets, they are transported into a 360-degree virtual world where they become pilots of a futuristic gunship under attack by mutant spiders. This intense, interactive adventure features:
- High speed, vertical ascent up 41 actual stories that transforms into 100 virtual stories while teetering off the edge of a helicopter;
- A 360-degree rotating view high above massive city skyscrapers that are under siege by enormous spiders;
- A high-intensity gun battle against a giant arachnid, spewing baby spiders that virtually crawl all over the rider’s body;
- A thrilling 10-second fiery plunge straight down at speeds up to 90 mph between towering skyscrapers;
- The final showdown with a spider the size of a van, teeth-gnashing and in full attack mode.
For a limited time only, guests can experience the Drop of Doom virtual reality attraction free with paid park admission. Riders must be at least 48” tall to ride Drop of Doom VR, and at least 13 years old to experience Samsung Gear VR.